Thursday, September 16, 2010

Zucchini and Feta Fritters - a close
relative of the potato pancake

Zucchini and Feta Fritters got an instant thumbs-up when I prepared them for the first time recently while guests were over.
   “Delicious,” my husband muttered while digging into them, echoing the general sentiment around the table.
   Calling this dish fritters, however, seem to be a bit of a misnomer. I found a few definitions online saying a fritter is any food coated in batter and fried, but this dish is simply zucchini mixed with feta cheese and herbs and cooked in a bit of oil in a skillet.
   They resembled potato pancakes.
   The fritters go superbly alongside meat – my husband and I served them with pork tenderloin.
   The recipe says you should be able to make about six fritters at a time, but to me, that’s only the case if you have a skillet big enough to cook pancakes for Paul Bunyan.
   I was only able to cook three at a time comfortably, and the recipe yielded six nicely-sized fritters.
   The recipe I used is contained in the fall 2010 issue of America’s Test Kitchen 30-Minute Recipes.
   When looking for it online, however, I was only able to find a recipe called “Zucchini Fritters,” from Cook’s Illustrated, also owned by America’s Test Kitchen.
   This online recipe, which requires a Cook’s Illustrated log-in to completely access, has a couple of differences from the one I used.
   The online recipe calls for one pound of zucchini, while the recipe I used called for 1 ½ pounds.
   The online recipe calls for heating three tablespoons of olive oil at a time to cook the fritters; the recipe I used called for one tablespoon of olive oil at a time, and it was plenty.

More great recipes from the skillet:
Crispy Garlic Chicken Cutlets
Skillet Macaroni with Zesty Meat Sauce

Join Recipes That Worked on Facebook

No comments: