Friday, September 3, 2010

A comfort food with zest: Skillet Macaroni with Zesty Meat Sauce

I like good comfort foods as much as the next person.
   Give me a plate of perogies and a bowl of borscht, and I’m in heaven.
   When I see a recipe that looks like it will take away the stresses of the day, I jump at it.
   Skillet Macaroni with Zesty Meat Sauce from the June 2010 issue of Cook’s Country magazine is guaranteed to make for a cozy suppertime.
   Although it says the meat sauce is zesty, it’s not overwhelmingly spicy. I think it will be all right for children (check it first before serving, though), and teenagers will definitely take to it.
   The zestiness comes from jarred banana peppers, so you could ease back on those if you are concerned about heat.
   You will need a Cook’s Country magazine website log-in to fully access the recipe linked to above.
   Lean ground beef and minced garlic cloves are cooked, and a 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes, water, dry elbow macaroni (we used whole wheat) and chopped banana peppers from a jar are added and simmered.
   Shredded Italian cheese blend is added and melted, and fresh basil finishes off the dish.

No comments: