Saturday, September 4, 2010

Cinnamon Buckwheat Pancakes with Cherries:
A welcome breakfast treat

Cinnamon Buckwheat Pancakes with Cherries, a recipe I tried for the first time during a recent visit of my in-laws, instantly became part of my breakfast dish rotation the moment we dug in.
   I loved the fact there is buckwheat flour in these pancakes -- extra fiber in food is always welcome. I found the buckwheat flour in a local health food store.
   Fresh cherries were already unavailable in the supermarket when I first made this recipe at the end of August, so I used canned Bing cherries.
   They seemed to work just as well as fresh, especially considering the recipe calls for the cherries to be left to rest in sugar for a few minutes while the pancakes are prepared. Since I used cherries in syrup, I skipped this step and simply drained the syrup off the cherries.
   The recipe, from BBC GoodFood magazine, has a hilarious direction: 500 g cherries, stoned and halved. Really, this means 500 g of cherries, pitted and halved.
   The recipe calls for golden caster sugar; I used white berry sugar instead, sometimes labelled superfine or extra fine granulated sugar.
   Sugar, buckwheat flour, self-raising flour, (self-rising flour), cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) are combined, and eggs and butter are mixed in to make a batter.
   The pancakes are made in skillets or frying pans, then served with the cherries and maple syrup on top.

No comments: