Thursday, June 3, 2010

The dessert recipe that got me an offer of marriage

Yes, I honestly received an offer of marriage over Chocolate Mint Cream Pie, an incredibly delicious crowd-pleaser dessert from the cookbook 375 Sensational Splenda Recipes by Marlene Koch.
   Alas, since I am already married, I had to turn the fellow down. It's possible he wasn't entirely serious, too.
   I bought this book when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about two years ago.
   It's full of great, reliable recipes that use Splenda as the sweetening ingredient.
   The first step in making the pie is preparing an easy crust. It calls for chocolate graham-cracker crumbs, which I previously was unable to find and so used Oreo cookie crumbs instead.
   Recently, however, I had a brainwave that Teddy Grahams, found in the cookie aisle at the supermarket, would likely come in the chocolate variety, and lo and behold, they do. I grind these up in a food processor.
   The pudding-like filling can be slightly tricky, but only in that you need to make sure it is thick and smooth as the recipe says. It takes some time, so just keep whisking away.
   Both the crust and filling call for Dutch-process cocoa powder. In Canada, Fry's Cocoa powder, found in abundance in the baking aisle of supermarkets, is Dutch-process.
   The topping is comprised of whipped topping, Splenda and mint extract.
   Make the pie and get your own marriage proposal!

375 Sensational Splenda Recipes at amazon.ca

My full review of 375 Sensational Splenda Recipes

Join Recipes That Worked on Facebook

No comments: