Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My flirtation with fleur de sel

Fleur de sel. Doesn’t that sound lovely?
   It tastes lovely too – now it’s my salt of choice for tomatoes, cucumbers, eggs, perogies and pasta.
   And to think that even just a couple of years ago I had never even heard of this delectable ingredient. It’s hand-harvested sea salt (Click here for the Wikipedia article about it).
   The recipe that turned me on to it is Soft Scrambled Eggs with Fresh Ricotta and Chives (click here for the recipe on the Bon Appetit website), a delicious dish that my husband and I make again and again for breakfast.
   It’s fine, easy fare that makes a lovely breakfast for two, or for family or guests if doubled and tripled.
   The recipe calls for fleur de sel or coarse kosher salt, but after I read a few reviews of the dish at epicurious.com by other home cooks, it became clear that fleur de sel was what I needed to add to make this recipe truly successful.
   I couldn’t find it at first and so used kosher salt in the eggs recipe.
   But I kept up my search, and one day was thrilled to find fleur de sel in a supermarket.
   I’ve since seen it several major supermarket chains, in the baking aisle along with the salt.
   It was worth the search, as it certainly raised the eggs recipe to a new level of deliciousness, and is fantastic on any other food that’s salted for enhancement.

No comments: