Friday, June 25, 2010

Hibiscus and Ginger Iced Tea - a glorious summer refresher

Thanks to the wonders of modern technology, I'm sitting outside to write about a terrific drink that my husband I enjoyed with supper just this evening.
   It’s Hibiscus and Ginger Iced Tea (click here for the recipe on the Martha Stewart Living website), and it’s been a summer staple ever since I first made it four years ago.
   It’s a real treat – refreshing and not too sweet, with a light taste I’d compare to raspberries.
   It’s quite family-friendly, too. Perhaps children about the age of 10 or under might not immediately take to it, but everyone else will!
   The drink is easy to make, it’s just tracking down the hibiscus tea bags to get started that might be a little tricky.
   Here in Canada, I found rosehip and hibiscus tea bags at Superstore, and they work perfectly.
   The recipe says it serves eight. Not quite! It makes two generous servings -- if you want to make more, you'll have to double it.
   Although the recipe doesn’t specify to refrigerate before serving, I strongly recommend it. You’ll want to serve this drink ice cold.
   This is another recipe for which I successfully substituted an equal amount of Splenda for sugar.
   To make the iced tea, water, ginger and sugar (or for me, Splenda), are brought to a boil and removed from heat. The tea bags are added and left to steep for 15 minutes.
   The tea is then poured through a fine mesh sieve set over a bowl in an ice-water bath, and left to cool (I let it cool for about 45 minutes to an hour.)
   Fresh lemon juice is stirred in. Refrigerate.
   The recipe says to serve over crushed ice, but that’s a fancy touch; regular ol’ ice cubes will work just fine.

No comments: