Friday, August 3, 2012

A blast from the past comes with
Ice Cream Soda with Lime, Mint and Ginger

When I sipped the Ice Cream Soda with Lime, Mint and Ginger (click for the recipe), I had a quick flash of what it might have been like to enjoy an ice cream soda at a soda fountain or drugstore counter.
   I’m too young to have been to an actual soda fountain, but the delicious drink/dessert I was drinking helped me understand why such establishments were so popular for so long.
   The ice cream soda was cool, refreshing and creamy. Each sip was a treat.
   With the lime, mint and ginger syrup as the base flavor, the ice cream soda received a terrific update while still maintaining its old-fashioned appeal.
   Serve these ice cream sodas as a dessert after a backyard barbecue, and I guarantee you will have a hit on your hands.
   I highly recommend using high-quality vanilla ice cream in the sodas, such as Haagen-Dazs. It will make a difference in its level of deliciousness.
   The recipe says it makes six servings, but I beg to differ – I think the syrup comfortably makes only enough for four sodas.
   The recipe also calls for sparkling water, but I used club soda.
   The sodas are very easy to make.
   Lime juice, sugar (I used Splenda instead), fresh mint and fresh ginger are combined in a saucepan and stirred over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the syrup comes to a simmer. It’s simmered for two minutes, then removed from the heat and cooled completely on the counter. The syrup is strained into a small bowl or airtight container, and then covered and refrigerated until ready to use.
   Syrup and club soda are poured into glasses and stirred to blend, and then a scoop of vanilla ice cream is placed in each.
   Serve the sodas with straws for sipping. I skipped the lime slice and mint sprig garnishes.


No comments: