Thursday, April 12, 2012

Ham and Cheese Crescent Sandwiches:
Simple and easy, just the way I like it

Recently one of my personal Facebook pals sent me a cookie recipe, saying the cookies were very good and that I may like to try them, but they might be too easy or simple to make for my tastes.
   What??? I asked incredulously when writing back to her.
   Perhaps I’ve been giving the wrong impression, but really, I’m all about simple and easy recipes.
   Maybe it’s that I cook and bake a lot with a variety of different ingredients that cause people to think I’m all fancy-schmancy in the kitchen.
   But I’m far, far from it.
   I look for recipes that seem reasonable to make. If they look hard or I don’t think I have the patience for it, trust me, I stay away. I want quick yet satisfying recipes to make as I often come home exhausted from work.
   And I’m not above using convenience ingredients such as Pillsbury Crescent Rolls, which I used this past week to make delicious and family-friendly Ham and Cheese Crescent Sandwiches (click for the recipe). Salty ham and gooey cheese were encased in a puffed and golden crust.
   I was looking for a way to use some leftover Easter ham I poached from dinner at my mom’s place, and found this nifty little recipe. I remember how much I loved hot dogs wrapped in crescent rolls when I was a kid, and so I thought I’d give these a whirl.
   I used the Grand size of crescent rolls for this recipe, the 11.2 oz (318 g) can instead of the 8 oz (226 g) can called for in the recipe. (The refrigerated seemless dough sheet mentioned as an alternative in the recipe wasn’t at any of our local supermarkets).
   Because I used the Grand size container, I didn’t have to press or roll the dough as the recipe directs. All I had to do was cut the large sheet of dough that comes out of the can into 7 x 5 inch rectangles – no rolling required.
   I did, however, have to press the crescent roll perforations together as the recipe directs before cutting it into rectangles.
   I also didn’t bother cutting the ham thinly, as it was in pieces already and would have been too difficult or even dangerous. Instead, I cut the ham pieces into chunks and put about a fistful on one side of each rectangle.
   If you don’t have any cooked ham on hand, I’m sure deli sandwich ham slices will work just fine.
   I placed half of a thin slice of Swiss cheese on the ham, then folded the dough over and pressed the edges together firmly.
   The pockets were baked for 10 minutes at 375 F.




No comments: