Monday, October 24, 2011

Pecan Crunch Pie: Ridiculously easy

The recipe for Pecan Crunch Pie (click for it) looked just a little too easy.
   Just five ingredients mixed together and put in the oven? No crust? No tricky filling?
   I was suspicious of whether or not it would be good, but it is a recipe from Cook’s Country, which I find to be notoriously reliable. And I welcome any chance to make a pie and not fool around with a pastry pie crust.
   So I tried it late one evening.
   Of course it was terrific. Why did I doubt it may not be?
   It satisfies all cravings for pecan pie with a slim fraction of the work. It was ridiculously easy to make.
   A couple of things, though. To me, it’s not really pie. It’s more like a cake. And it’s not crunchy, either -- slightly chewy is more like it.
   It’s an absolute must to serve the pie this way. Keep the pie stored in the fridge, and when it's ready to be served, take it out to warm up for just a few minutes. Serve the wedges with vanilla ice cream.
   Make sure, too, to grind your own graham crackers for crumbs, a direction not outlined directly in the recipe. I used a food processor to grind whole graham crackers.
   I used pre-chopped pecans and toasted them for about four minutes in a small frying pan.
   The recipe I linked to above is on a newspaper website, and it is exactly the same as the one I used.
   Eggs, sugar, baking powder and vanilla extract are beaten together with an electric mixer (I used a hand mixer) until thickened and tripled in volume, about five minutes. The graham cracker crumbs and pecans are folded in with a spatula.
   The batter is poured into a greased nine-inch pie plate, then baked for 30 minutes at 350 F.
   Before serving, the pie is cooled completely, at least one hour.

No comments: