Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Boursin cheese meatballs - a most heavenly idea!

When I came across the recipe for Skillet Meatballs and Noodles in Creamy Herb Sauce (click for the recipe) while paging through the November issue of Cook’s Country magazine, I stopped dead in my reading tracks.
   I stopped not so much because of the recipe's title (although it does sound good!), but because of an ingredient I saw listed in it: Boursin cheese.
   This trademarked soft, creamy cheese can be found in the fancy cheeses/deli section of many supermarkets.
   And man, is it ever good. Spread over crackers, it is a dream.
   In this recipe, the garlic and herb variety of Boursin cheese is mixed with ground beef to make meatballs – an idea that had me salivating. I used the lower-fat variety of Boursin cheese for the recipe.
   The meatballs are served in a gravy-like sauce and egg noodles. It’s a cozy, homestyle dish that reminded me a bit of beef bourguignon.
   It’s very easy to make. The recipe I linked to above is on a blog but it is the same one I used from Cook's Country.
   Ground beef and garlic and herb Boursin cheese are combined gently, then formed into small meatballs that are browned in a skillet.
   The meatballs are removed from the skillet, and chopped onion, chicken broth, uncooked egg noodles (we used whole wheat) and white wine are added and cooked until the pasta softens.
   The meatballs are put back into the sauce and noodles. Off heat, more Boursin cheese and chopped fresh chives are stirred in.

Another good fall comfort food recipe: Creamy Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese

No comments: