Monday, August 26, 2013

Grilled Lamb and Halloumi Skewers, Broiled Plums with Mango Sorbet, Zucchini Carpaccio

My latest round of delicious summer recipes, tried by me in the time period from Aug. 15 to 25, includes a kabob and some must-try cooling summer salads. Click on the links to get the recipes.

Grilled Lamb, Tomato, and Halloumi Skewers with Orzo Salad: These easy-to-make kabobs, with their simple and delicious side of orzo salad, are good for a weeknight or an outdoor party. They reminded my husband and I about the awesomeness of halloumi cheese, which gets perfectly-but-not-too-gooey when grilled. Its salty tang is to die for.

Broiled Plums with Mango Sorbet: So easy and so delicious. Plums sprinkled with cinnamon, sugar and vanilla are broiled in the oven and go on top of store-bought mango sorbet. We couldn’t find mango sorbet but did find mango ice cream, which was just as delicious.

Chai Blossom: A simple combination of chilled chai tea, lime juice and club soda is absolutely delicious. The creator of this recipe is very smart to have thought of chilling chai tea.

Zucchini Carpaccio: This ingenious recipe is so easy and quick to make, but is an elegant crowd pleaser. It will work on weeknights with the family and at dinner parties. And with tons of zucchini around these days, this recipe is ideal for using it up.
            The recipe I linked to is a little fancier than the one I used from an Epicurious specialty publication. The recipe I used, for example, didn’t call for pine nuts or zucchini blossoms (the zucchini blossoms are strictly optional, in my opinion!) My recipe also said you could grate the cheese onto the zucchini rather than using a vegetable peeler.

No comments: