Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Quick Chicken Vindaloo:
A much milder version of a traditional dish

Because I’m a fan of the BBC sci-fi show Red Dwarf, I wanted to make Quick Chicken Vindaloo (click for the recipe) from Fine Cooking magazine the moment I saw it.
   On the show, Dave Lister, the lone surviving member of the human race, loves chicken vindaloo, an Indian curry dish. Lister is a passenger on a spaceship called Red Dwarf.
   Lister would probably like the Fine Cooking version, although, in terms of spiciness, it’s a far, far cry from what I’m guessing is normally a mindbendingly hot dish.
   My version was even milder than the recipe intended, as I used regular paprika instead of hot. The recipe doesn’t specify what type of curry powder to use, so I went with mild (my husband and I hate overly-spicy dishes).
   If you use regular paprika and mild curry powder as I did, and skip the cilantro, you’ll be able to serve this to the whole family. With the milder spice options, it’s a good, basic chicken dish that people will eat without complaint, perhaps even the picky eaters in the house.
   We served it over jasmine rice, and didn’t use cilantro.
   Quick Chicken Vindaloo is very easy to make.
   Curry powder, paprika, and black pepper are mixed together. Boneless, skinless chicken thighs are tossed with one tablespoon of the curry mixture, garlic, red wine vinegar and salt.
   A thinly-sliced yellow onion is cooked in a skillet, and fresh ginger, garlic, and the remaining curry powder mixture is added.
   A can of diced tomatoes, the chicken, red wine vinegar and water are added to the skillet, and the mixture brought to a boil, then left to simmer at medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes.
   The chicken is served over rice or with naan bread.

No comments: