Friday, April 29, 2011

Limoncello and Mint Sparklers:
Soft, fizzy lemonade with a hint of mint

It seemed high time that I tried making a new cocktail, so last weekend, just in time to celebrate Easter, I hauled out the recipe for Limoncello and Mint Sparklers (click for the recipe).
   It’s one I’d been harboring away on my “to-make” list. It was waiting patiently for me to get to it and see just how awesome it is.
   And it was truly awesome – it was essentially soft, fizzy lemonade with a hint of mint.
   Limoncello, or lemon liqueur, creates the lemonade taste, with the help of fresh lemon juice. The fizziness comes from club soda (the recipe calls for sparkling water, but I always prefer club soda.)
   While I made this for sipping before and at a springtime meal, where it fit in well, my mom rightly pointed out the cocktail would also be nice on a hot summer day, enjoyed on the deck.
   The recipe says it makes six servings, but I found it made four.
   The cocktail was amazingly easy to prepare.
   Fresh mint leaves are combined with limoncello in a bowl. The mint is gently bruised with a pestle or wooden spoon to release the yummy mint flavors. The mixture is chilled for one hour.
   The mixture is strained through a fine-mesh sieve into a pitcher, leaving the mint in the sieve and the minty limoncello in the pitcher.
   Just before serving, fresh lemon juice and club soda is stirred with the limoncello in the pitcher.
   The recipe says to fill the pitcher with ice, but I put ice in the individual glasses instead and poured the cocktail on top.

No comments: