Sunday, November 14, 2010

Pecan-Chocolate Chip Pie:
Delicious even when burned!

I love recipes that are so reliable that the result is good even if something gets screwed up.
   Such is the case with Pecan-Chocolate Chip Pie (click for the recipe), a recipe from Emeril Legasse.
   The top of the pie burned, but it was still absolutely delicious.
   I followed the cooking time of one hour, but clearly I should have checked it along the way, at perhaps the 45-minute mark.
   If you bake this pie to its proper lovely golden-brown goodness, it will be even better than what I produced, I’m sure. It is a very family-friendly pie.
   There are directions on how to make a crust, but I find making pastry-style crusts quite frustrating (plus I’m lazy), and so I used a bought deep-dish pie crust and baked it before embarking on the rest of the recipe.
   The recipe calls for 100 per cent pure cane syrup. Roger’s Golden Syrup, which can be found in many supermarkets (in Canada at least!), is 100 per cent pure cane syrup.
   The cane syrup is used in a mixture that goes overtop the pecans and chocolate chips. I found I had about ½ cup extra of the syrupy mixture left over – the pie would have overflowed if I used it all!
   The pie is extremely easy to make if you go the purchased pie crust route.
   Pecan pieces and chocolate chips are scattered over the bottom of the pie crust.
   Eggs, sugar, brown sugar, pure cane syrup (golden syrup), corn syrup, vanilla, salt and melted butter are combined and poured over the pecans and chocolate chips.
   Bake (check what it looks like along the way!) and let cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.

More great dessert recipes for fall and winter

Join Recipes That Worked on Facebook

No comments: