Thursday, April 19, 2012

Flatbread pizzas a fresh combination
of flatbread, feta, mixed greens and dill

It seems everywhere I turn these days people are talking about gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan diets.
   Although I haven’t adopted any of those diets, my husband and I try to eat a variety of foods. We try to eat vegetables and fruit every day, whole grains whenever possible, and occasionally legumes and fish.
   When I come across a nice-looking recipe that veers off the beaten food path into vegan and vegetarian territory, I want to try it.
   Flatbread Pizzas (click for the recipe) from BBC Good Food magazine called to me with its homemade hummus spread on flatbread sprinkled with mixed greens, feta cheese, pomegranate seeds and dill.
   It also called to me because it looked very easy to make.
   They were very easy to make, and delicious. If you’re craving something fresh and new, these flatbreads will satisfy that craving in spades.
   The recipe has two parts – the flatbreads pizzas, and a side salad that’s comprised of the same ingredients used on the flatbreads. I thought this was overkill, and so only made the flatbread pizzas. Because of this, I needed only half the amounts of three ingredients listed – the lemon juice, greens and pomegranate seeds. I didn’t bother with the raw red onion at all, as I prefer them cooked.
   The recipe called for Middle Eastern flatbreads – I used naan bread.
   The recipe also calls for “rocket leaves.” Rocket is the British term for arugula.
   Pomegranate seeds are also listed as an ingredient. One of our local supermarkets had these in the produce aisle when they were needed and so I was able to use them, but if you can’t find them, just leave them out.
   Chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans) are puréed in a food processor with lemon juice, garlic and cumin, along with a few tablespoons of water to get a spreadable consistency with the resulting hummus (spelled the British way, houmous, in the recipe).
   The naan or flatbreads are warmed according to package instructions, then spread with the hummus. Feta cheese, dill, greens and pomegranate seeds are sprinkled over top.
   Serve.



No comments: