Thursday, February 9, 2012

A salad for the night when
you don't feel like cooking

As I dragged myself home from work one night last week, completely exhausted, I hoped the recipe I chosen for us to make that night wasn’t too difficult.
   You see, I organize a week of dinners on Sunday and we get the groceries we need for them in one shopping trip on Monday night. I try to pick recipes that seem quick and easy for weeknights.
   But very occasionally, I’ll wonder as I’m driving home from work if I bit off more than I can chew for the night’s dinner, to use an apt phrase. Will I have the energy to happily make what I planned?
   On the night in question last week, I was thrilled to find when I got home that we were going to make Slivered Celery Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing (click for the recipe) from Eating Well magazine.
   It was a no-cook, super easy salad that took minutes to make. It turned out that I had planned wisely.
   And happily, it was absolutely delicious too. It’s terrific as a side to pork chops.
   The recipe calls for mixing half of the blue cheese into the salad, then sprinkling the rest on top. I simply mixed all of the blue cheese into the salad.
   We used a ¼ tsp of hot sauce instead of the full ½ tsp recommended in the recipe (or it can be left out entirely).
   To make the dressing, buttermilk, low-fat plain Greek yogurt, hot sauce and salt are mixed together.
   Chopped celery, celery leaves, scallions (also known as green or spring onions) and crumbled blue cheese are added to the dressing and the salad is tossed.




Pin It

No comments: