Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Zucchini and Corn Tacos, and a
cocktail to serve with them

I decided to try the recipe for Zucchini and Corn Tacos (click for the recipe) because it looked like a great way to use two fresh veggies that are in season exactly now.
   And, as I am lucky to find to with many recipes I pick this way, they were delicious.
   But they were delicious in a sort of nondescript way – the tacos are mild in flavor, with all the ingredients complimenting each together and nothing standing out.
   The lack of meat is not at all disappointing. The vegetables and beans provide a “meaty” filling that is very satisfying.
   I have a suggestion for an ideal drink to serve with the tacos (if only adults are present): Michelada, a Mexican beer cocktail.
   I used a recipe from BBC Good Food magazine as a guide for the micheladas I made.
   I followed the direction of dipping the rims of the glasses into lime juice, then into sea salt.
   Ice and lime juice are put into glasses, then topped with Mexican lager beer (we used Corona).
   I liked a lot of lime juice in my cocktail; my husband, much less. This is a good recipe to leave a bit of room at the top of each glass to add more lime juice if people want it.
   The Zucchini and Corn Tacos, from the July 2009 issue of SELF magazine, are very easy to make.
   To get the corn ready for the recipe, I used our tried-and-true method for de-corning cobs. After the husk is pulled off, a cob is stood upright, nose down, into the opening in the tube in the middle of an angel cake pan. Using a sharp knife, the kernels are scraped off, from top to bottom, into the pan.
   The corn kernels are toasted in a skillet, then set aside. Onion, garlic, tomatoes, and zucchini are added to the skillet at different points and the mixture cooked until tender.
   The corn, canned black beans, epazote (I used the fresh oregano substitution) and pepper are added to the tomato and zucchini mixture and it is cooked a bit longer.
   The finished filling is put into corn tortillas (if you can’t find corn, flour tortillas can be substituted), then topped with tomatillo salsa (use tomato salsa if you can’t find tomatillo), and grated Monterey Jack or crumbled queso fresco cheese.
   We put our assembled tacos in the microwave for 15 seconds just to warm up the tortillas a bit.
   Then we gobbled them up.

No comments: