Sunday, January 9, 2011

Cornmeal-Thyme Cookies:
The ultimate tea companion

While I don’t drink tea (or coffee), I believe I’ve found the ultimate tea companion: Cornmeal-Thyme Cookies (click for the recipe) from Martha Stewart Living magazine.
   It's just something I know deep in my bones – these cookies go wonderfully with tea. (The recipe’s introduction even says so.)
   Of course, they’re also wonderful without a hot beverage accompanying them.
   These cookies have been a long-time favorite around my place.
   Those disturbed by the idea of an herb in a cookie should worry no longer. The fresh thyme is essential to this cookie’s perfect taste, and is mild rather than overpowering.
   In fact, it would be fun to serve the cookies and watch people guess at the source of the lovely flavor. It’s thyme, you can think smugly to yourself. Or you could tell the cookie’s admirers.
   Also key to recipe’s success is the cornmeal, which provides a terrific chewy texture, and the currants, which seem to go hand-in-hand with the thyme.
   The cookies are so easy to make, and one batch is substantial. They keep well at room temperature for at least five days.
   When it comes to fresh thyme, recipes usually say to use it “finely chopped.” I strip the teeny thyme stalks of the teeny thyme leaves by pushing my thumb and forefinger together from one end to the other. Then I use the leaves in the recipe.
   For these cookies, flour, baking soda, cornmeal and salt are combined in bowl.
   Softened butter and sugar are creamed together (the recipe says to use a stand mixer but I used a hand mixer, and it worked fine), then eggs, the flour mixture, currants and fresh thyme are added and incorporated into the mixture.
   The dough is dropped onto parchment-lined baking sheets, and baked until golden, about 10 to 12 minutes.
   Serve (with or without tea) and enjoy!



Pin It

No comments: