Friday, December 17, 2010

Gratifying Gingerbread Cake

When I was a kid, I thought gingerbread existed in just one form: As cookies.
   When my mom made gingerbread in cake form and served it as dessert after supper one day, it kind of rocked my little world.
   Mom explained she used to make gingerbread for her Dad and brothers as a treat for when they came home after a long day of farm work.
   She served it the same way to us as she did to them: With a dollop of whipped cream on top.
   In my adult years, I started to look for a gingerbread recipe that I could put in my own collection, and I found one: Gingerbread from Cook's Illustrated, a magazine published by America’s Test Kitchen.
   The recipe I’ve linked to is a comment on a post about gingerbread on a blog. You’ll need to scroll down until you see the comment from Mary, posted on Dec. 5, 2007, that opens with “I adore gingerbread . . .”
   The recipe Mary provides is exactly the same as the one I use.
   It’s so amazingly easy to make, and produces delicious results.
   The whole family will love a piece of this gingerbread.
   I found it didn’t even need whipped cream on the side – it’s just perfect as it is. And you don’t even need a plate and fork – you can pick up and piece and enjoy it that way!
   It will keep well for about five days if stored in the fridge.
   Flour, ginger, cocoa, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, baking soda and salt are mixed together.
   In a different bowl, melted butter, molasses, sugar, egg, buttermilk and milk are beaten together. The dry ingredients are added and the batter is beaten until smooth, then poured into an 11” by 7” pan.
   The gingerbread is baked for about 40 minutes, then cooled for at least 10 minutes.

More terrific dessert recipes

Join Recipes That Worked on Facebook

No comments: