Sunday, June 20, 2010

Hulk Smash . . . raspberries!

I think he would for a glass of this refreshing summer cocktail.
   I made Raspberry Smash (click here for the recipe at the Bon Appetit website) the first time on Saturday night, and let me tell you, it will be made again.
   The people who would like this drink are the cocktail crowd -- those that order a vodka martini when they're out on the town. It's the perfect sipper for them while the steaks are on the grill.
   The flavour of the raspberries melded perfectly with the vodka, yet wasn’t too sweet.
   And it was really easy and fun to make. However, the recipe is for two cocktails, so if you were planning on making more, you might want to assign someone to the task. I made one for myself one evening, and it seemed to work even better than two at a time.
   Lime wedges, fresh raspberries, vodka and sugar (I substituted Splenda) are smashed in a cocktail shaker using a muddler or a wooden spoon handle.
   Ice is added and the concoction is shaken for 10 seconds.
   It’s poured into glasses then topped with champagne. Although the recipe doesn't say so, I gave the cocktails a quick stir.
   I also let the ice melt for about a minute before serving.
   There’s no need to strain the raspberry mixture from the cocktail shaker, as it settles to the bottom as the cocktail is sipped.

No comments: